Monday, October 28, 2013

Before I was a Mom (27 Things I Remember from my Pre-Mom Days)

I love being a mom and wouldn’t trade it for the world. I honestly have a hard time remembering what life was like before I had kids. My oldest child will be 19 this week, and considering I can’t even remember what I had for breakfast, it’s not surprising I can’t remember those pre-mom days from nearly 2 decades ago.

Before I was a mom…

my jeans fit.
I drove a Mustang, not a church van.
there weren’t any fruit snacks smashed into the seatbelts in my car.
there weren’t any drawings on the furniture in my house.
I had never tried the delicacy of a chicken nugget.
there wasn’t a single strand of gray in my hair.
I didn’t know that blue food coloring could make a kid’s poop to neon green.
I never uttered the phrases, “Don’t put that lizard in your sister’s bed,” “Why did you shove a Tic Tac up your nose?” or “Stop trying to fly; the ceiling fan has a weight limit, you know!”
I slept all night without any feet in my face.
I could go to the bathroom without seeing fingers poking under the door.
I was smart. And then I was presented with 6th grade math.
I took showers that lasted more than 2 minutes and when I left the bathroom, I never discovered the dog covered in pink yogurt.
my floor wasn’t covered in toys.
I ate food while it was still warm.
I knew the perfect way to raise kids.
I didn’t have any Barbies, Legos, or Happy Meal toys in my purse.
There wasn’t Play Doh or nail polish permanently stuck to my carpet.
I did my hair and makeup every day.
my name was Dawn, not Mom.
I had money. Or well, more money than I have now.
my time was my own and I never used that time to sit at a football field for 12 hours straight.
I never considered making a diorama of the Potawatomi Indians the night before it was due.
I arrived at destinations on time and with matching shoes.
I had never heard of The Wiggles, Super Why, or Bubble Guppies.
I didn’t know what it felt like to be a role model.
I didn’t know how amazingly incredible it felt to hold your own baby.
I didn’t know I could love anyone as strongly as I do now.

How about you? Fill in the blank. Before I was a mom____________.

No comments:

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative